National Young Writers’ Month took place in the month of June from 2011 – 2015. National Young Writers’ Month asked young writers to set themselves a goal for the month of June, achieve that goal by June 30.
Throughout the 5 years of National Young Writers’ Month, Express Media facilitated a variety of on and offline programs, activities, workshops and events throughout the month to assist writers in improving their craft and reach their writing goals.
- Highlights from the 2015 program included:
- An action-packed series of fourteen live-streamed online events, with thirty incredible young artists such as Oliver Mol, Zoe Norton-Lodge, Eliza Henry-Jones, Katie Parrish, Neha Kale and Kaitlyn Plyley, discussing everything from how they began writing to best practice for managing a successful freelance career.
- Voiceoworks #100 launches in Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra, Wollongong, Adelaide, and Hobart.
- Competition launches including the John Marsden and Hachette Australia Prize for Young Writers and The Scribe Nonfiction Prize for Young Writers
- A Spotlight On series highlighting the best and brightest young writers from around Australia, selected by Express Media and open to NYWM participants
- A daily blog filled with focused writing tips, inspiration, exercises and recommended reading
- A Pen Pal project, connecting young writers from across Australia.