19 February 2015
Seeking: Express Media General Manager
*Applications are now closed*
Express Media provides support and development opportunities to young people in writing and media. Express Media’s values are Artistic Diversity, Opportunity for Development, Professional Excellence and Accessibility through Engagement.
We are currently recruiting for a new General Manager/CEO to provide vision, leadership and organisational direction. Please see below for position description and selection criteria. You can download the position description here or see below for full details.
Express Media presents an annual program of:
- Publications, including Voiceworks national youth literary magazine and Buzzcuts arts reviewing website
- Awards, including the John Marsden/Hachette Australia Prize for Young Writers and the Scribe Nonfiction Prize
- Training and development opportunities, including the NEWS National Editors Workshop and Skillshare and workshops and panel sessions in diverse writing and media forms
- Resources, including the Express Post newsletter and online guides.
- Provide vision and leadership for Express Media, including determining organisational direction (in conjunction with the Express Media Board) and developing and implementing strategies to achieve goals
- Manage Express Media’s ongoing operations and administration, overseeing organisational procedures, records management, correspondence, office space and equipment
- Manage human resources, including employing all staff and volunteers and overseeing a safe workplace and productive organisational culture
- Manage organisational finances, including implementing and monitoring annual budget (as endorsed by Board), overseeing ongoing financial administration, and sourcing and managing recurrent operational funding
- Manage legal and financial compliance requirements, including incorporation, risk management and annual reporting
- Manage marketing and communications, including implementing organisational communications plan, maintaining online presence and overseeing publicity and advertising
- Maintain relationships with funding bodies, oversee project funding applications and acquittals
- Report to regular Board meetings, keeping the Board informed of the activities of Express Media
- The position is full time at $52,500 plus superannuation as required by law
- The CEO is paid for five working days per week and understands that the requirements of the position will involve some work outside these hours
- The CEO reports to the Express Media Board
- All Express Media staff are employed under annual, renewable contracts subject to funding conditions
- The position is located at the Express Media office, third floor, The Wheeler Centre, 176 Little Lonsdale St Melbourne
- The CEO is covered by appropriate workers compensation insurance while working at Express Media, and is provided with a workstation and a friendly working environment
ESSENTIAL SELECTION CRITERIA
- A sound understanding of Express Media as an organisation and a commitment to Express Media’s stated values
- Experience in managing, leading and inspiring teams of people (volunteers and staff)
- Strong financial management and administration experience including budgeting, bookkeeping, and monthly financial reporting
- Excellent time management skills, including the ability to set and work to deadlines and coordinate multiple tasks
- Familiarity with the funding environment in which Express Media operates, with experience in securing and managing funding and sponsorship highly desirable
- Skills in strategic planning and risk management, including a working knowledge of the regulatory environment in which Express Media operates
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written
- Strong computer skills including MS Office, MYOB, databases and online content management systems
DESIRABLE SELECTION CRITERIA
- Experience in marketing and communications, and knowledge of the Australian arts industry and networks
- Familiarity with issues in the not-for-profit sector, including resourcing challenges and working with a board of management
HOW TO APPLY
Your application must include: 1) Your covering letter; 2) Your statement addressing each of the selection criteria; and 3) Your current CV including three referees. Your application must be saved as one file (word or PDF) with your surname as file name.
For further information please call Express Media on (03) 9094 7890 and speak to Steve Lamattina, CEO.
Apply by email: email@example.com (use subject line APPLICATION: CEO)
Applications close 9am Monday March 9. Interviews for the position will take place on Monday March 16. Shortlisted applicants must make themselves available on this day for interviews.
*Applications are now closed*
Express Media is an equal opportunity employer. Please contact Steve Lamattina, CEO at the details above to request a copy of this position description in an alternative format.