23 March 2016
Join the Buzzcuts team for You Are Here 2016
Buzzcuts is a program that trains young writers and broadcasters in critical arts reviewing taking place at festivals around Australia.
In 2016, Express Media is presenting Buzzcuts in partnership with Scissors Paper Pen and You Are Here Festival and is on the lookout for Reviewers to join the team.
CALLING YOUNG REVIEWERS
In March and April, Express Media and Scissors Paper Pen will engage 5 reviewers aged 25 or under to take part in Buzzcuts during the You Are Here festival. Prior to the festival, program participants engage in a workshop on arts reviewing and interviewing, preparing them for an intense month of experience and professional development. Writers then take on the responsibility of attending and reviewing shows as a member of the media and their work is published on the Buzzcuts website.
- Attend a skills development workshop for reviewers on Saturday April 9 from 10am at Ainslie Arts Centre
- Attend and review a minimum of 3 events during the 2016 You Are Here Festival
- Conduct and write a minimum of 1 review with You Are Here festival artists
- Advise the Buzzcuts Editor if they are unable to attend a scheduled event
- Submit reviews and interviews for publication on the Buzzcuts website in a timely manner following an event
- Complete a project evaluation survey at the completion of the volunteer period
- Other duties as directed by the Buzzcuts You Are Here Editor
- The position is voluntary and may fit well with study in the arts, media, editing or writing
- The position is from March to April 2016
- Days/hours per week to be negotiated with Buzzcuts You Are Here Editor
- The volunteer reports to and is supervised by the Buzzcuts You Are Here Editor
- The volunteer must advise the Buzzcuts You Are Here Editor if they are unable to attend a scheduled show
- The volunteer is covered by appropriate insurance while working at Express Media
- Self motivation: the ability to work independently and as part of a small team
- Time-management skills: the ability to set and work to deadlines, and to coordinate and manage multiple tasks
- Superb communications skills, both oral and written
- Expertise in word processing, email and volunteer applications and familiarity with spreadsheets
- An interest in Express Media’s mission and target audience development groups
- Desirable: Experience in arts reviewing
HOW TO APPLY
Your application must include:
- Your contact information including your name, address, date of birth, email and contact phone number
- A cover letter outlining why you would like to be involved and any experience you have in the relevant area.
- A 300 word sample review of a film or performance of your choice.
Save all files as one PDF document and send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org (use subject line APPLICATION: YOU ARE HERE BUZZCUTS REVIEWER).
For further information please email Fiona Dunne, Creative Producer of Express Media on email@example.com.
Applications close 9am Monday April 4 2016
Buzzcuts is supported by: