30 May 2016
Join the Buzzcuts Team for the 2016 Melbourne Fringe
Want to join the 2016 Melbourne Fringe Buzzcuts team?
Ever seen a play or performance, visited a gallery, or watched a film and felt your thoughts on it deserved to be heard beyond the confines of your own couch? Buzzcuts teaches young arts and culture critics the essential skills for crafting incisive reviews and interviews, covering major festivals Australia-wide.
In 2016, Buzzcuts returns to the Melbourne Fringe Festival, and we’re on the lookout for a young editor and up to five young writers to join the Buzzcuts team. As part of the Buzzcuts from July to October 2016, you’ll receive training in interviewing, arts reviewing, and editing, and build your journalistic instincts working in asimulated reporting environment to cover the 2016 festival with all the benefits of being an Artist in the Melbourne Fringe.
From July to October 2016, Express Media will engage a Buzzcuts Editor aged 25 or under to lead the 2016 Buzzcuts team during the Melbourne Fringe Festival, building invaluable skills in editing, publishing, and project management, with support and mentorship from staff at Express Media.
The Buzzcuts Editor will:
● Select and coordinate a group of up to five volunteer arts reviewers
● Conduct and lead two Buzzcuts Workshops, with support from Express Media staff and mentors
● Liaise with the team at the Melbourne Fringe throughout the duration of the Buzzcuts program
● Coordinate artist interviews in consultation with reviewers and the Melbourne Fringe
● Arrange review tickets in coordination with the Melbourne Fringe Box Office Team
● Ensure the timely delivery of reviews and interviews to publication website
● Manage the Buzzcuts website as well as edit and upload reviews
● Manage Buzzcuts social media accounts, including Facebook and Twitter
● Contribute to an evaluation report on the project
The Buzzcuts Editor will have:
● The ability to work independently and as part of a small team
● The ability to manage and support small teams of volunteers
● The ability to set and work to deadlines, and to coordinate, prioritise, and manage multiple tasks
● Superb communications skills, both oral and written
● An interest in Express Media’s mission to support and develop young writers
● Experience with Microsoft Office, particularly Microsoft Word and Excel
The Buzzcuts Editor will ideally have:
● Experience in editing and publishing or a desire and will to learn quickly
● Experience and knowledge managing websites, particularly WordPress
● The position is voluntary and may fit quite well with study in editing and publishing or arts management.
● The Buzzcuts Editor will receive an Artist Pass, providing access to Melbourne Fringe events, priority entry to the Fringe Club, and discounted rates at the Fringe Hub and to participate in the Melbourne Fringe Artist Development Series.
● Applicants should be able to start work from the week beginning June 27, 2016
● The position is for three months from July to October 2016 requiring a few hours hours a week for the first two months and then the equivalent of at least one day a week for the remainder.
● Please note: the position may require some work each day during the Melbourne Fringe 2016 (September 15 to October 4) and some work may be done from home.
● The actual days/hours per week to be negotiated.
● The volunteer reports to and is supervised by the Creative Producer.
● The volunteer is covered by appropriate insurance while working at Express Media, and is provided with a workstation and a friendly working environment.
If you’ve been trying out review writing, are skilled and knowledgeable about one artform but seeking to challenge yourself in another, or want to find a way to support and develop your writing skills and meet like-minded people, then Buzzcuts is a great place to start.
The Buzzcuts Reviewer will:
● Attend two two-hour training workshops on Saturday July 9 and Monday September 12 at The Wheeler Centre;
● Attend the Melbourne Fringe artist forum Marketing & Media at 6pm on Monday July 11 at the Arts Centre Melbourne and conduct three rapid-fire artist interviews;
● Attend and review a minimum of five events of the 2016 Melbourne Fringe;
● Interview Melbourne Fringe artists and write a minimum of two interviews;
● Advise the Melbourne Fringe Buzzcuts Editor if they are unable to attend a scheduled event;
● Following each show, submit reviews for editing and publication on the Buzzcuts website in a timely manner
● Complete a project evaluation survey of the volunteer period;
● Other duties as directed by the Buzzcuts Melbourne Fringe editor
● Self-motivation – the ability to work independently and as part of a small team
● Time-management – the ability to set and work to deadlines and manage multiple tasks
● Communication – outstanding written and oral communication skills
● Alignment – commitment to demonstrating Express Media’s core values
● Previous experience in arts reviewing is desirable although not required
● The position is voluntary and may fit well with study in the arts, media, editing or writing
● The Buzzcuts Reviewers will receive an Artist Pass, providing access to Melbourne Fringe events, priority entry to the Fringe Club, and discounted rates at the Fringe Hub and to participate in the Melbourne Fringe Artist Development Series.
● The position is from July to October 2016, requiring approximately 8 hours a week
● Days/hours per week to be negotiated with Buzzcuts Melbourne Fringe Editor
● The volunteer reports to and is supervised by the Buzzcuts Melbourne Fringe Editor
● The volunteer must advise the Buzzcuts Melbourne Fringe Editor if they are unable to attend a scheduled event
● The volunteer is covered by appropriate insurance while working at Express Media
Applications close 11.59pm Sunday June 26 2016.
Buzzcuts is presented by Express Media in partnership with Melbourne Fringe