13 November 2015
Join the 2016 VAMFF Buzzcuts team – Reviewers
Buzzcuts is a program that trains young writers and broadcasters in critical arts reviewing. After running successfully in 2015, the program is back for 2016, with the support of Express Media and the Virgin Australia Melbourne Fashion Festival Cultural Program.
This year, we’re on the lookout for a team of enthusiastic VAMFF Buzzcuts Reviewers.
- Attend two workshops for reviewers on January 9 and February 6 2016 at The Wheeler Centre in Melbourne
- Attend and review a minimum of four events at the 2016 VAMFF Cultural Program;
- Conduct and write a minimum of two interviews with 2016 VAMFF Cultural Program artists;
- Advise the Buzzcuts VAMFF Editor if they are unable to attend a scheduled show;
- Submit reviews and interviews for publication on the Buzzcuts website in a timely manner following a show;
- Complete a project evaluation survey at the completion of the volunteer period; and,
- Other duties as directed by the Buzzcuts VAMFF Editor.
- The position is voluntary and may fit quite well with study in media, editing or writing.
- The position is from January to March 2016, requiring a few hours a week. Most work will be done from home.
- The actual days/hours per week to be negotiated.
- The volunteer reports to and is supervised by the Buzzcuts VAMFF Editor
- The volunteer is covered by appropriate insurance while working at Express Media
- Self motivation: the ability to work independently and as part of a small team
- Time-management skills: the ability to set and work to deadlines, and to coordinate and manage multiple tasks
- Superb communications skills, both oral and written
- Expertise in word processing, email and volunteer applications and familiarity with spreadsheets
- An interest in Express Media’s mission and target audience development groups
- Desirable: Experience in arts reviewing
Amy Campbell, VAMFF Buzzcuts Reviewer in 2014 says:
During early 2015, I had the privilege of reviewing the Virgin Australia Melbourne Fashion Festival’s Cultural Program through Buzzcuts. Not only did this experience allow me to engage with the Fashion Festival in a hands-on manner, it introduced me to both new personalities and long-time idols – celebrated members of the industry I would’ve only dreamed of rubbing shoulders with if it hadn’t been for my involvement with Buzzcuts.
More importantly, the opportunity to produce reviews for a well-recognised and respected organisation has allowed my career opportunities as a fashion writer to flourish. An integral addition to my CV, my participation in the Buzzcuts program has undoubtedly led to my selection as a 2016 finalist for the VAMFF Cultural Program’s Fashion Writing Series, where, for the duration of the festival I will be mentored by the Fashion Editor at-large of Marie Claire Australia, Clare Press. It also added huge value to my application to study abroad, which I undertook this year at London’s prestigious Central Saint Martins.
Reviewing for Buzzcuts was one of the most enjoyable writing endeavours I have so far undertaken, and the doors it’s opened for me have been priceless. It has been an invaluable leg-up into the industry I wish to pave a career in, and I would jump at the prospect of being involved in another Buzzcuts initiative if the opportunity arises.
HOW TO APPLY
Download the Position Description for more information and how to apply. Save all files as one PDF document and send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org (use subject line APPLICATION: VAMFF BUZZCUTS).
APPLICATIONS EXTENDED UNTIL 5PM, MONDAY 14 DECEMBER.
For further information please call Express Media on (03) 9094 7887 and speak to Fiona Dunne, Creative Producer.
Facebook image by Maegan Tintari.