3 December 2014
Buzzcuts – VAMFF Cultural Program 2015 Reviewers (ages 18-24)
Buzzcuts is a program that trains young writers and broadcasters in critical arts reviewing. We are pleased to be expanding the program to include the Virgin Australia Melbourne Fashion Festival Cultural Program for the first time in 2015.
ABOUT THE VAMFF CULTURAL PROGRAM
Since its inception the Virgin Australia Melbourne Fashion Festival’s Cultural Program has become an integral component, pushing the limits of fashion beyond the runway and into the realms of art, design, film and contemporary culture. In 2015 the Cultural Program will take place from 15 February to 15 March.
The Cultural Program will consist of the following initiatives:
- Project Series: self-produced activities by creative individuals and organisations
- Fashion Film Series: screenings of selected short fashion films
- Offsite Runway Series: showcases of emerging designers and stylists using innovative presentation formats
- Fashion Writing Series: online and print publication of selected fashion critique and writing, as well as public discussions around fashion writing
- Attend a two hour induction workshop for reviewers on 17 January 2015 at The Wheeler Centre;
- Attend the VAMFF Cultural Program Launch on 12 February 2015;
- Attend and review a minimum of two events at the 2015 Virgin Australia Melbourne Fashion Festival Cultural Program;
- Advise the Buzzcuts Editor if they are unable to attend a scheduled event;
- Submit reviews for publication on the Buzzcuts website in a timely manner following an event;
- Complete a project evaluation survey at the completion of the volunteer period; and,
- Other duties as directed by the Buzzcuts Editor.
- The position is voluntary and may fit quite well with study in media, editing or writing;
- The position is from February to March 2015, requiring a few hours a week. Most work will be done from home;
- The actual days/hours per week to be negotiated;
- The volunteer reports to and is supervised by the Buzzcuts Editor;
- The volunteer is covered by appropriate insurance while working at Express Media;
- The reviews may also be published on the VAMFF blog.
- Self motivation: the ability to work independently and as part of a small team
- Time-management skills: the ability to set and work to deadlines, and to coordinate and manage multiple tasks
- Superb communications skills, both oral and written
- Expertise in word processing, email and volunteer applications and familiarity with spreadsheets
- An interest in Express Media’s mission and target audience development groups
- Desirable: Experience in arts reviewing
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please submit the following three things to Steve Lamattina at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your contact information including your name, address, date of birth, email and contact phone number
- A cover letter outlining why you would like to be involved and any experience you have in the relevant area.
- A 300 word sample review of a film or performance of your choice.
Applications close 5pm, Tuesday 6 January 2015.